I debated for a long time on which camera to choose. I was having a hard time choosing between the Nikon and the Canon. I have no doubt that both the Nikon D5100 and the Canon Rebel EOS T3i are both great cameras and will take marvelous pictures.
I think it really comes down to your own personal preference. I ended up choosing the Canon Rebel EOS T3i.
The menu is very user friendly and seemed to be easier to shoot with. I liked the hand grip better too. Also visually I think the Canon is cleaner and more proportionate. I’m particular about things like that. (not my main deciding factor obviously)
- High Resolution Still Capture – 18.0 MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor for high image quality and speed.
- Amazing Results, No Matter the Light. ISO 100 – 6400 for shooting from bright to dim light.
- Improved EOS Full HD Movie mode with manual exposure control, expanded recording with new Movie Digital zoom
- Vari-angle 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor (3:2) for shooting at high or low angles and 1,040,000-dot VGA with reflection reduction
- Automatic Scene Analysis for Standout Color. New Scene Intelligent Auto mode and Picture Style Auto incorporating the new EOS Scene Detection System
- And Video Snapshot features for enhanced video shooting options.
- Compatible with full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses