I recently found this awesome idea for colored deviled eggs on Pinterst. This is a great idea for all holidays. You could use red and green for Christmas, birthday party theme colors, or team colors for a Super Bowl party! Plus it’s really simple and doesn’t take much time.
This was my first trial which didn’t go very well. Only half of my eggs actually made it out clean, so I would recommend making extras just in case. My colors weren’t as spring-y looking as I would’ve liked but I read (a little too late) that if you use boiling water instead of cold water you’ll get a more pastel-look. And the longer you leave them in the dye, the darker they will be. So if you want lightly colored eggs, don’t let them sit for long.
What you’ll need:
- Boiled Eggs
- Food Coloring (I used McCormick egg dye and mixed them for different colors)
- 1tsp of Vinegar per color (Don’t worry it won’t make them taste like vinegar)
- Water (Boiling water for more pastel colors)
1. Remove the egg shells from the hard boiled eggs and cut each egg in half lengthwise.
2. Remove the yolks and set aside.
3. Use as many containers as desired. I used styrofoam bowls. Fill containers 2/3 of the way full with water (boiling water for pastel colors).
4. Add desired amount of food coloring (more food coloring=darker color) along with 1 tsp vinegar to each container.
5. Place egg whites in the containers and allow to sit in the food coloring until desired color is reached.
6. Remove whites from dye and lay on a paper towel to dry. DO NOT rinse.
7. Lastly, take the reserved yolks and fill with your desired recipe. I used mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Also try the McCormicks Delicious Deviled Eggs recipe. Or check out the SouthWest or Curried recipe if you’re looking for something a little different.
McCormick is also launching its own Pinterest page and giving baking and cooking enthusiasts the opportunity to win spring-inspired prizes for sharing their “Pin-spiration.” To enter, users create their own McCormick Pin-spiration board showcasing which McCormick recipes they’d like to create this season, as well as a photo of a creation they’ve made themselves. Pinners will be entered to win one of 25 spring baking packages, and the chance to have their original photo featured on McCormick.com.
Check out my Pinterest board for other Spring Recipe Inspiration including some recipes from the McCormick Pin-spiration board.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for McCormick. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for participating.