Yesterday I attended the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration “On-The-Road” and I wanted to share some photos and lessons learned from the conference. This is an inside look for people who want to know what a Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is like.
I really love attending conferences because you get to meet new amazing people, and it always motivates me to become a better writer, mother, and human in general. There’s so much love given when you get together with like minded people with similar interests. Disney hosts great events with awesome food and top notch speakers. Disney always does it best!
These are my notes from the conference that were broken down and simplified. The speakers touched on each of these topics and obviously went into more detail than you’re seeing here.
BECOMING A BETTER WRITER:
- How do you want them to feel? What story do you want to tell?
- Use your most compelling images to lead the story; people respond better to visuals
- Be passionate: write what you love
- Let your content reflect your personality: write like you were talking to a friend
- Be authentic, not perfect
- Be curious; learn; explore new things
The image above of Mickey Mouse started with a simple camping trip where some creative cast members tried drawing a light painting with sparklers and flashlights. Those images turned into a series of photos that became some of the most viewed photos ever on the Disney Parks Blog. This is why it’s important to explore new things!
TRENDS CURRENTLY SHAPING CONTENT:
- Is you content thumb stopping? Do they continue swiping or do they pause?
- You have 3 seconds to grab people’s attention before they continue scrolling
- Followers don’t matter; engagement is key
- Put out digitally what represents you – that is your brand
- Try new ways of engagement your audience: Live + 360 = live 360 video
- Use the word ‘video’ in your title
- Post directly to social media – share that video directly from YouTube, don’t post the link
- Try sounds off of video – captions instead of sound. Lots of people watch without listening.
- Choose quality over quantity
- Use up the given space on all social media – Crop images to 1:1; 3:4 on Facebook new
USE MORE VIDEO:
- Your Mission: Emotionally engage and motivate
- What emotion do you want to invoke?
- Prepare topics, not questions
- Make them happy; make them cry; make them feel; don’t pitch a sales message
- People prefer video: more people watch YouTube than cable tv
WHAT MAKES A GOOD VIDEO:
- Take me somewhere, show me something; engage your audience
- Shoot in sequence; shoot and move
- Clean audio
- Use longer videos for blogs; 45 seconds for Facebook
- Use music to add emotion
- Can your video stand alone without text?
- Did you deliver on emotion?
The team who wins makes adjustments in real time. Actress, Kim Fields
APPLY NOW FOR THE DISNEY PARKS MOMS PANEL SEARCH 2018
If you are a Disney fanatic and believe you have what it takes you can now apply for the 2018 Disney Parks Mom Panel! Yesterday at noon they opened the application process, and it will run from September 6, 2017 through September 13, 2017.
DISNEY DREAMERS ACADEMY 2018
Also, if you have kids ages 13 to 19 who have a positive attitude and persistence to do great things and would like to become one of the students selected for the Disney Dreamers Academy. You can apply now through October 31, 2017 for the 2018 Disney Dreamers Academy.
The Disney Social Media Moms Celebration continues to be one of the most sought after conferences for social media influencers and opinion leaders. As part of this free invitation-only event, I received complimentary items and food. I was not compensated for this post. All views and opinions are my own.